PARADOXES IN PARADISE ISLAND
by Forrest Gump
I have watched with UTTER DISBELIEF the developments in Sri Lanka.
Long ago in India, when King Kosela had sixteen dreadful dreams, he
went to the Buddha for an explanation. The Buddha told him not to worry
as these events were to happen at a far future time. This is that time,
particularly for Sri Lanka. This is the darkest time of the darkest
age (Kali Yuga). One of King Kosela’s dreams was that of jackals in
palaces urinating into golden chalices. It certainly looks that way
when we look at some of the present days political leadership, particularly
in Sri Lanka.
In any society, the LAW HAS TO BE UPHELD. The Law is the thread that
holds the fabric of society together, however diverse. When the people
at the top, whichever side, bend the law to suit themselves, then it
makes a mockery of law and order. Then all and sundry think they can
break the Law of the Land with impunity and get away with it. Then anarchy
sets in. This is what the LTTE would like to have in Sri Lanka.
WHAT THE UNF GOVERNMENT IS DOING IS ABSURD TO AN EXTREME. At a time
when terrorists have been banned in almost every country, their offices
closed, assets frozen, the Government of Sri Lanka is negotiating and
trying to hand over on a platter everything the LTTE has fought for,
tooth and nail, for the last twenty years. First, Premadasa used the
LTTE as his private army. At one point, Premadasa had the Sri Lanka
army confined to their barracks and the really able and popular Generals
such Gen. Kobbekaduwa were killed by the LTTE. All the most able and
best of Sinhala leaders were killed by the LTTE - Gamini Dissanayake,
Lalith Athulathmudali, Ranjan Wijeratne, Gen. Kobbekaduwa to name a
When the LTTE were in a strong position, we were trying to fight them with an army which was ill-equipped with poor arms and unsuitable leaders like Rohan Daluwatte and the infamous Ratwatte. Now when the LTTE is not in a position to fight and all the major countries are turning their backs to them why are we trying to placate them? This is not a time to negotiate with the LTTE. For the sake of both the SINHALA, MUSLIM AND TAMIL people, it is better to fight and annihilate them for they are a dishonorable organization and cannot keep to their word.
WHO ARE THE LTTE ? Do they have a mandate from the Tamil people to form a separate State ? NO. They have killed all the democratically elected Tamil leaders, one by one - Amirthalingam, Alfred Duraiappah, Dr Neelan Tiruchelvam, to name a few. After killing Tamil leaders, the LTTE used threats and the Tamil sense of loyalty to their community to collect funds. These funds were used to buy armaments for the LTTE which gave them an edge over the army, and for business investments to generate more funds. They bought the most sophisticated arms, such as SAM missiles, AK-47 machine guns, fast boats while our army had old bolt action rifles and broken down trucks. During the twenty years of war, the various Governments did not spare any expenses for the protection of the Ministers of the Governments in power with bullet proof Mercedes Benzes, Pajaros, and paid themselves very high salaries, while the poor brave Sinhala lads from the villages were fed like cannon fodder to the LTTE killing machine.
When Jaffna was about to be over-run by the LTTE, President Chandrika Kumaranatunge woke from her sleep and appealed to India to send the Indian Navy to pull out our troops who may have been trapped and slaughtered by the LTTE. General Janaka Perera almost single handedly reversed the situation in Jaffna and pushed back the LTTE. However, he was removed from his post and sent on a mission abroad and one of her “yes”men put in his place. Hence the debacle of Elephant Pass with heavy losses to the army.
However, all this is History. The LTTE is apparently now negotiating
with the GOSL. The aim of the LTTE leadership is to somehow survive
after all their dastardly crimes, keep their ego selves intact by not
answering any questions put to them (don’t disturb the Peace Process
says the lackey UNF Government), and quietly form a separate State.
The LTTE is represented by Anton Balasingham (he has no Doctorate! -
don’t call him Dr. - this is another of his lies to gain respect !).
A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR AND CHEAT, A MAN WITHOUT HONOR, Balasingham was
responsible for killing more than 800 STF disarmed men after promising
Premadasa that they would not be harmed. Balasingham has studied some
psychology and is like a chameleon and he plays with words, and what
he promises means nothing. The other person the GOSL trusts is Karuna.
THIS IS THE MURDERER OF INNOCENT SINHALA WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN THE NE
BORDER VILLAGES - he is personally responsible for gruesome crimes of
hacking pregnant women and bashing babies on walls. The present UNF
government has given them Sri Lanka passports and Balasingham is addressed
as “His Excellency”.!! This is really is the strange Upside Down world
of Sri Lanka. Oh, that we live to see these injustices ! If Sri Lanka
cannot handle these criminals, they should be apprehended and tried
at the United Nations war crimes courts and punished for their crimes.
While all the ‘negotiations’ are going on, the LTTE is busy establishing Police Stations, Law Courts, etc. to create a separate administration in the North and East. What right have they to do that ? THEY ARE NOT DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED, and nor are they following the laws of Sri Lanka. THEIR LEADER IS WANTED FOR MURDER IN INDIA AND SRI LANKA. They have the ‘backing’ of the NGOs, the Norwegians and the Church. People must ask themselves the question “What do these organizations gain by giving a separate State to the LTTE?”. If they get their separate state the Norwegians will establish their fish canneries in the Trincomallee harbor and rape the Indian Ocean of fish like they have the seas around Norway. The LTTE is entering into deals with Norwegians, and NGO’s and the Church to hand over the North and the East which is not even theirs to give.
Most of the decent people of Sri Lanka, whether Sinhala, Tamil or Muslim
seem to have gone dumb, deaf and helpless. Another question: Who is
going to control the economy of Sri Lanka in future days to come ? The
UNF government appears to be busy handing over the water ways, the forests
and all the public property to the private sector (possibly LTTE controlled
as well) to do as they please. Even in the most capitalist countries
such as the USA they do not do that. The US government is one of the
most powerful and make sure that they have control over everything in
their country even though it is a democracy. The Government morons in
Sri Lanka are willing to hand everything to anyone who wants to take
When all leaders of the worlds most powerful countries such as Pres.
Bush and Pres.Putin refuse to negotiate with terrorists, our leadership
seems hell-bent on negotiations with the LTTE. DR.G. L. PIERIS IS IN
MY MIND THE REAL TRAITOR IN THE UNF GOVERNMENT. While he was with the
PA government he was trying his best to have devolution of power and
hand over the north and the east to the LTTE. The moment the government
changed hands he switched to the other side and is doing the same. Does
he have some deal going with the LTTE for him to be so anxious to divide
the country. The LTTE is well known for finding the weaknesses of leaders
and pandering to those weaknesses. That is how they have so much power
over the Norwegians, the NGO’s and the UNF government. Considering the
amount of money the LTTE were spending on the war, it is cheaper for
them to bribe entire governments, and other leaders to get their way
than to fight a war.
The LTTE claims that 17,648 of their cadre have been killed during
the 20 years of war. If a total of 60,000 or so Sri Lankans have died,
who killed the remaining 42,352 people ? The Tamil Tigers, of course.
What can we do to fight this chameleon like enemy. I advocate the following
(1) LTTE MUST FIRST DISARM AND GIVE AN AGREEMENT SIGNED IN FRONT OF THE UNITED NATIONS, INDIA, UK, USA & THE EUROPEAN UNION TO GIVE UP TAMIL EELAM AND TERRITORIAL CLAIMS IN EXCHANGE FOR THE LIFE OF THE LTTE LEADERS AND OTHER LTTE MEMBERS. THE LTTE LEADERSHIP SHOULD BE PLACED UNDER HOUSE ARREST, PERHAPS FOR LIFE. ALSO, THEIR ALREADY ESTABLISHED POLICE AND COURTS MUST BE DISMANTLED. THEIR NAVY AND ARMY MUST DISBAND. AN OATH OF ALLEGIANCE MUST BE TAKEN BY ALL LTTE MEMBERS SWEARING LOYALTY TO A UNITED SRI LANKA. AID MONEYS FOR RE-HABILITATION WORK IN THE NORTH AND THE EAST WILL BE GIVEN TO THE SRI LANKA GOVERNMENT ONLY AFTER THESE CONDITIONS ARE SATISFIED. If not for the LTTE by now the North and the East would have been very well developed during the last twenty years.
(2) The main reason that the LTTE succeeds is due to the lack of proper education and employment among the youth in the North and the East. Therefore, education and job creation has to be the number one priority for all future Sri Lanka governments. This must be the priority for the South as well. Rather than create jobs according to the World Bank formulae, we should help the people to help themselves. If we follow the World Bank formula and let foreign capital come in and set up sweat shops, all that happens is we create more poverty. Look at all the African countries which have tried to follow the World Bank formulas. They end up poorer and sadder. The end result is the wealth of the country flows out to the donor countries and the people become slaves working for a pittance for Global Corporations. We must use self help programs such as the “Dahasek Wewa” to restore the old village based agrarian economy. Use our natural resources to develop the economy instead of imported resources. We are importing coal burning plants when we have plenty of sun power, wind power, surf power, hydro power etc. As a result we will end up polluting the air, the water and pay through out nose for coal for the next 100 years. Train the Youth of the Country to safeguard its Forests and Seas while harvesting the same judicially for sustenance. Train them to build roads and vehicles suited for transport in Sri Lanka. The Leadership should live simple lives and set an example.
(3) Make sure all the Tamils who are flooding into the country from South India under Ranil’s open door visa policy with India eventually go back to India. Sri Lanka is a small country with limited resources. Even large countries such as USA, Canada and Australia which have continent size land masses are very strict on immigration. WE ARE HAVING AN OPEN DOOR POLICY WHICH IS INSANE CONSIDERING THE MASSES OF TAMILS IN SOUTH INDIA WHO ARE WAITING TO COME OVER TO THE ISLE OF SRI LANKA. As it is we have large number of illegal immigrants and other so called “tourists” who make a one way trip to Sri Lanka. Is Ranil trying to make sure there are enough Tamils in the North and East if there is a Referendum eventually? Because right now they are not a majority in the East even after the mass killings of the Sinhalese and Muslims by “Col.” Karuna in the villages of the East.
(4) Request the UK, Canada, USA to hand over all the frozen assets
of the LTTE and their front organizations such as FACT to the Sri Lanka
government for rehabilitation of the country which has been destroyed
by 20 years of war. Otherwise what will happen to the money ? Will it
be handed over to the LTTE after they are deproscribed or will the host
countries keep the money for themselves?
(4) If the LTTE does not agree to (1) above, let the Sri Lanka army finish the work they started and annihilate the terrorists. A blanket Amnesty should first be offered to those who want to reform. Others may go to war with the Sri Lanka army and die ‘with honor’ for a lost cause. According to Kotakadeniya even now they are still in a position to defeat the terrorists. If we wait anymore it will be too late. They are frantically buying armaments, setting up police stations, and recruiting cadres nominally for “political work”. We must also provide the proper leadership to the army and instead putting various relatives of politicians let professional soldiers who have made it their career and proven themselves in the battlefield lead the army. Not morons like Daluwatte who had to go to astrologers to make a decision or corrupt people like Ratwattte who were only interested in keeping the war going to for their monetary benefit.
(5) If the LTTE does not agree to (1), and in the event of India not wanting to deal with Prabhakaran, we must make every effort to capture Prabahakaran and either execute himor send him to jail for 200 years (a life sentence) as per the sentence passed on him in absentia by a Supreme Court Judge. Prabhakaran was proven guilty thanks to his finger prints which were found on a placard he gave to a suicide bomber he sent off to set off the bomb at the Central Bank.
(6) We must get rid of the NGO’s which are pro-LTTE and the Norwegians who have proven that they are biased towards the LTTE. They all have vested interests and hidden agendas. Most of the NGO’s are interested in converting to Christianity by force poor Hindus and Buddhist villagers. The Buddhist priests must upgrade the Morals and Values of the People of the Country, move more freely among the people, find out their problems and advice them. Buddhism has to be modified for the present day and age and made to come alive and not be a dead religion buried in Pali texts which no one can understand.
(7) We must also create a government to look after the interests of
the majority of the Sinhalese not only the minorities. Such a government
would truly protect the Sinhala culture and the heritage of 2500 years
of Buddhism. We are letting everyone else rule the country. The Malaysians
have been very clever and have not let the 35% Tamils in Malaysia get
a hold of the reins of power.
(8) In health and medicine, we should follow the example of India and
use Auyrveda, Homeopathy, Naturopathy, Acupuncture along with Allopathic
medicine. The Allopathic medical system has unfortunately got tied up
with the drug companies and the doctors. In the West more and more people
are getting disillusioned by the systems which exploit peoples illness
to make money for drug companies and doctors and are turning to simpler
systems. The main problem in our country is what has plagued us since
the 1900’s when we were aping the West to the extent of wearing waist
coats and wool coats in the burning heat. We are still trying to ape
the West in everything. Why do we do that when we have a fine culture
of our own which goes back much further than the Western cultures. Our
leaders must set an example and try to live simply instead of trying
to live by Western standards of luxury. Our forefathers were able to
live very well off the land and were more contented and happy. While
in the West the people have more and more “things” and are less and
less contented. In fact, today we have a violent gun culture in the
West and the use of drugs and alcohol is escalating among the young
people who are disillusioned and without direction.
(9) Our leaders are extremely selfish and are only interested in how to have a good time at the expense of the country. Even for the so-called “peace negotiations” why do they go to foreign lands?. Cannot they have the talks in Sri Lanka? I understand the Sri Lanka representative to the UN is living in the Trump Towers in New York paying $15,000/month. What benefit has he gained for Sri Lanka with his lavish life style. Does he entertain diplomats? If so what benefit have we gained ?
(10) Publish the findings of the Batalanda commission and make sure the guilty are made to pay. Even if it is the mighty Ranil W. Similarly, make sure the investigations of Ratwatte and his group and investigated and they are brought to justice. Leaders of Sri Lanka must learn to act with honor and put the country and people first, and not indulge in personal greed and ambitions. The people of the country must become more politically active and make sure they understand the issues. This is where the Buddhist priests can help.
When all is said and done, we are all waiting for the uncivilized of
the Country (rich and poor alike) to become civilized. It is only when
a large number of people of a country are truly civilized that a country
can be called civilized and at peace. Sri Lanka will then truly become
the “Dhammadvipaya”(The island refuge of the Dharma).
BACK TO LATEST NEWS
Newspapers Ltd. All rights reserved.