Sri Lanka’s opposition protest cripples Colombo
Posted on September 5th, 2018
Courtesy NewsIn.Asia
The protest titled ‘Janabalaya Colombata’ is spearheaded by Rajapakse’s eldest son and MP, Namal Rajapakse.

The JO expects over 200,000 protesters from all across the country to take part in the rally, which will be held at Fort, the heart of Colombo’s business hub.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said in a statement on Wednesday that September 5th was not a public holiday. He said many people including school children had arrived in the city and the government could not let them be affected by the protest.
The usual busy roads of Colombo remained silent and many schools closed by 12 noon ahead of the protest which was set to begin at 2pm. Despite an earlier statement by the JO that the protest would end at 7pm, MP Udaya Gammanpila said protesters would sit through the night into Thursday.
Police said that over 5000 additional police officers had been deployed across the city to maintain law and order. Riot police, the STF and heavy military trucks were seen roaming around Colombo since early Wednesday morning.
The JO, had for months been preparing for the protest which is being held against the existing high cost of living, economic instability, the government’s policies etc.