Society for Peace, Unity and Human Rights
in Sri Lanka (SPUR)
Reg No. A 003 07777 M
PO Box 4066
Mulgrave VIC 3170
Email : Public Officer : Spokesperson : Webmaster
Ph: +61 3 9548 0276 Fax: +61 3 9548 0276
Saturday, 04 June 2005
Act Immediately to Protect
Heroic Sons of Mother Sri Lanka
SPUR Demands the President Immediately Establish a Presidential Commission
of Enquiry, Suspend the Ceasefire Agreement and Cancel all Facilities
provided to the LTTE Terrorists
The latest assassination of Major Nizam Muthaliff , RWP, Officer Commanding
the Army's First Intelligence Unit proves once again that the Cease
Fire Agreement (CFA) signed on February 22, 2002 by Ranil Wickremesinghe,
the then Prime Minister, Velupillai Prabhakaran and the Norwegians will
not take the nation anywhere near the allusive peace promised by the
In the main, we hold two parties responsible for taking the Nation
down this disastrous path:
1) Ranil Wickremesinghe-G. L. Peiris combination; and
2) The treacherous Norwegians.
These two parties conspired behind the President, the parliament and
the people to impose this illegal document on the nation, based on the
promise that it comes with international guarantees. After carefully
considering the developments since signing the CFA, we conclude that:
1. the Wickremesinghe-Peiris combination led the Nation to this plight
with the able assistance of Erik Solheim, who consistently runs to London
to get his briefing from Anton Balasingham.
2. the Wickremesinghe-Peiris combination, conspired with the Norwegians
to arm the LTTE and give them a military advantages like the construction
of the Iranamadu airstrip.
3. the Norwegians stand accused of supplying arms, training LTTE cadres
and manipulating the Wickremesinghe-Peiris government to strengthen
the military balance in favour of the LTTE, based on evidence provided
to the world at the WAPS Oslo conference held in August 2004.
4. that Wickremesinghes secretary, Bradman Weerakoon, personally
intervened, on the instructions of his master, to supply the LTTE with
military and other sensitive telecommunication equipment duty free.
5. the Wickremesinghe-Peiris government used the suicidal CFA to lift
all safe-guards put in place to check the infiltration and the operations
of the LTTE assassins now roaming freely in Colombo and other areas
not handed over to the LTTE by the Wickremesinghe-Peiris combination.
6. the killings of the dedicated officers like Maj. Muthaliff and other
intelligence officers of the heroic forces of the LRRP began with the
treacherous exposure of the Athurigiriya House by the Wickremesinghe-Peiris
government to fulfill their secret agreement with the LTTE to dismantle
7. We also accuse the present UPFA government of selling out the Nation
and peace by continuing the same policies initiated and implemented
by the Wickremesinghe-Peiris government.
8. the President Chandrika Kumaratunga has betrayed the national interests
in the name of a peace which she can never win, as seen in the latest
killing of her own forces at her doorstep.
9. the President Kumaratunga of trying to cut secret deals with the
LTTE in promoting single-handedly the Joint Mechanism which is another
way of empowering the LTTE terrorists.
10. the President stands condemned for not taking into confidence her
own Cabinet, the Prime Minister, partners in her own government (such
as the JVP) and people and revealed the hidden contents of her Joint
Mechanism plan to the Nation.
11. We are highly suspicious and have no faith in the secret dealings
of the President with the LTTE because it is our belief that neither
the LTTE nor the Norwegians will ever agree to a mechanism which is
not favourable to them. It is our belief that, knowing the bargaining
tactics and the underhand maneuvers of the LTTE, through its Norwegian
agent, it would never agree to sign a document that is not favourable
to them. As everyone knows, they even refused to go to Tokyo and defied
the international community to sign the Tokyo Declaration because it
was inimical to their interests. If President Kumaratunga claims that
she has overcome this obstacle then we request her to kindly reveal
the total contents of the Joint Mechanism that she proposes to implement.
She has a moral and political duty to tell the people before she ties
the nation to another sell-out like the WickremesinghePeiris CFA.
1. Considering the repeated and consistent failure of the LTTE to adhere
to the CFA,
2. Noting that the LTTE has, with impunity, committed crimes against
humanity and war crimes,
3. Believing that neither the international community nor the UN will
act decisively against the LTTE to either put an end to their crimes
or bring them to justice
4. Noting in particular that Mr. Kofi Annan has not issued condolences
to the family of Maj. Nizam Muthaliff as he did when Col Kausalyan,
a minor apparatchik in the killing machine of the LTTE, was shot by
a rival Tamil party in the east.
5. Noting (without condoning) that the NGO-funded media pack in Colombo
that cried buckets of tears over the military journalist, D. Sivaram,
has not expressed the same horror and condemnation over the death of
Maj. Nizam Muthaliff and
6. Believing that the people of Sri Lanka can save their democracy,
their security, their peace and their future only if they take decisive
action in this hour.
We appeal to the people of Sri Lanka that they should initiate immediate
action to impress on the Government, the patriotic political parties
such as the JVP and the JHU, and in particularly the President that
they should collectively take a decision to:
1. Establish a Presidential Commission to enquire in to the assassination
since 2002 of Major Muthalif and other brave officers of the LRRP
2. Suspend the one-sided CFA which has no prospects of bringing in
a lasting peace until the Presidential Commission findings are known
3. stop providing facilities to the LTTE to transport their cadres
by air and by road
4. stop negotiations on the Joint Mechanism until the international
community and/or India intervenes to put an end to the violence of the
5. insist that the two-timing Norwegians be asked to get out of the
Sri Lankan peace process
6. insist that India too should stop dealing with the Norwegians and
put an end to bluffing which makes India look like a village cow led
by the Norwegian manipulators, and
7. insist that India should stop pussyfooting around the issue of the
threat posed by the LTTE to its own regional and internal security,
and immediately sign the Defence Agreement with Sri Lanka
The Presidents rhetoric is bewildering!
The Oppositions silence is deafening!
The Premiers lack of understanding is bewildering!;
The JVP and JHUs patriotic conduct is inspiring!
If the President continues to take the stand of the three Chinese monkeys,
see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil, it will
be time for a citizens uprising to protect Sri Lankas democracy
Dr D Jayasuriya
Society for Peace, Unity and Human Rights in Sri Lanka (SPUR)
Reg No. A 003 07777 M
PO Box 4066
Mulgrave VIC 3170
The URL of the Media Release is http://www.spur.asn.au/SPUR_20050606_Suspend_CFA.htm